The 2017 Fall Lay Servant Ministry School is set for October 15 and 22, 2:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m., at Mathews UMC, 800 Wright Ave., Greenwood, SC. You must attend both sessions to receive credit for your selected course.
A light meal will be served each evening.
Course offered are:
- Basic course. This is a pre-requisite for the advanced courses necessary to become a certified lay servant. Cost is $33 which includes the course book.
- Leading Worship: This is an advanced course to become a certified lay servant. The Basic Course is a pre-requisite. Click here for information regarding ordering the book for this course.
- From Your Heart to Theirs: Delivering an Effective Sermon: Both the leader’s guide and the participant book by Tony Franks and David Carroll are suggested for this course. This is an advanced course; the Basic Course is a pre-requisite. Registration fee is $23.00. Click here for information regarding ordering the books for this course.
- Faith-Sharing: Get Out and Speak Up: This course is for anyone, laity and ministers, and does not require the Basic Course as a pre-requisite. This course will teach you how to lead in connecting with the community and sharing the Gospel and is highly recommended for those interested in sharing their faith. Registration fee is $36 which covers all course-related materials.
Click here to download a copy of the registration form. The registration deadline is October 5, 2017. NO REGISTRATIONS WILL BE TAKEN AT THE DOOR.
Pastors of participants are encouraged to be present for the closing worship service on Sunday, October 22, to stand with their lay servants during the commissioning service.
All current lay servants must submit an annual report to their charge conference. Click here to download a copy of this annual report. Anyone seeking to become a lay servant must be approved by his/her Church Council or Charge Conference. Click here to download a copy of the application form.
All participants in the Fall 2017 Lay Servant Ministry School are asked to bring new, or gently used, shoes in a box or bag. These donations will be used to provide fresh water wells in Kenya. You may bring men’s, women’s, or children’s shoes.
With all the devastation that has happened and is yet to happen in the wake of Hurricane Harvey and the anticipation of Hurricane Irma, it is really hard to say all that will be needed right now. However, we do know that flood (cleaning) buckets and health kits will be needed.
On Saturday, September 16, 2017, an ERT Basic Class will be offered at Faith UMC, 5151 Sunset Blvd., Lexington, SC from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. The cost is $35 per person, which includes a manual, shirt, cap and badge. There is a $10 fee for renewal certification. Light refreshments will be served. Anyone interested in attending should contact Billy Robinson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 803-539-8429.
A second ERT training session is planned for Saturday, October 7, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., at Zion United Methodist Church, 5708 S.C. 187 North, Anderson, South Carolina. For more information, contact Mark Springer at 864-367-8047 or masprin@
Items of interest include:
- September Clergy Meeting, September 12
- Disaster Response
- Health Insurance Workshops in Greenwood District
- September Charge Conference Schedule
- Lay Servant Ministry School, October 15 & 22