Bishop Jonathan Holston continues his district visits this year to meet with pastors and laity concerning the way forward for churches in the SC Conference.
October 28 is the day Bishop Holston will be in the Greenwood District. Pastors and a leadership team from their churches are expected to join with the Bishop at St. Mark UMC Rivers St. Campus, 1633 Rivers St., Greenwood, on Saturday, October 28, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
This year’s theme is By Faith, On Mission, Together. Bishop Holston will spend the morning with church leadership teams thinking about how we equip our congregations to walk faithfully into God’s vision for God’s church. Teams will have the opportunity to hear what churches are learning from the Forward Focus process, and the day will close with Holy Communion as we celebrate our connection to one another and to Jesus Christ.
Pastors are reminded that this is the October district clergy meeting. Attendance is expected.
Rev. Love has decided that the Bishop’s Days with Leadership Teams will be the October district clergy meeting. (Reminder: As with all district clergy meetings, if you cannot attend on October 28, you are to send Rev. Love an email (email@example.com) explaining your absence and requesting to be excused from this time with the Bishop.
Bishop will be in the district on SATURDAY, OCTOBER 28, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., in the worship center at the Rivers St. Campus, St. Mark UMC, 1633 Rivers St., Greenwood, SC. This year’s theme is By Faith, On Mission, Together.
We are expecting to see a leadership team from each of our churches present for this time with Bishop Holston.
No pre-registration is required. We will have sign-in sheets on that Saturday. Light refreshments will be served prior to the meeting time.
We look forward to seeing each of you and representatives from your churches on Saturday, October 28.
Click on the image to the left to download a copy of this month’s district newsletter or to read online.
Items of interest include:
- 2017 Annual Set-Up Meeting
- Violence in Relationships Conference
- Making the Shift Conference
- 2017 District Revival Update
- Bikes for the World District Update
- The HUM Conference
The 2017 Spring Lay Servant Ministry School
March 19 & 26, 2017
2:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Edgefield United Methodist Church
309 Norris St.
Edgefield SC 29824
Four courses will be offered:
- Basic Course: required of all those who wish to be certified as a Local Church Lay Servant. Cost is $33 which includes the cost of the book
- Polity: examines the organization and practices of The United Methodist Church. Cost is $23, plus the cost of the book. (Click here to order the book for this class.)
- Living Our Beliefs the United Methodist Way: Cost is $23, plus the cost of the book. (Click here to order the book for this class.)
- How Lay Leaders and Lay Servants Can Become More Effective in the Local Church: This course is new this year; it does not count as one of the courses needed for certification as a Lay Servant. Cost is $26 which includes materials for the class.
Registration deadline is March 4.
Read the letter sent to all pastors and current Lay ServantsRegistration Form.
Download a copy of the Registration Form
Download a copy of the Book List and order information for the Advanced Courses.