The Greenwood District 2019 Fall Lay Servant Ministry School is set for October 20 and 27 at Broad St. UMC, 310 N. Broad St., Clinton. Sign-in will begin at 2:00 p.m., and the sessions will end at 7:30 p.m. A light meal will be served.
Courses to be offered include:
- Basic Course: This course is required of all those who wish to be certified as a Local Church Lay Servant. If this is your first application to become a Lay Servant, you need to register for this course. The cost is $33 which includes the book.
- Leading Public Prayer: This is an advanced course and the Basic course is a pre-requisite. Praying in public can be daunting, but prayer is something one learns. This course on praying in public will help the participant grow in confidence and skill in public prayer and enrich their personal prayer life. Registration fee is $23.00.
- Leading Worship: This is an advanced course and the Basic course is a pre-requisite. This course focuses on the ministry of the lay servant who either regularly or occasionally leads a group or congregation in worship. Hoyt Hickman explains the basic pattern of United Methodist worship within the broader context of Christian worship. Registration fee is $23.00.
- Discover Your Spiritual Gifts: This is an advanced course and the Basic course is a pre-requisite. This course helps participants understand spiritual gifts and how the church can use them to fulfill its mission and ministry. Participants will also learn what it means to be a spiritual leader and will be equipped to lead others in exploring and using their spiritual gifts. Registration fee is $23.00.
Registration deadline is OCTOBER 11, 2019. No Registrations will be taken/accepted at the door. No registrations will be accepted after the deadline. All registrations must be postmarked by October 11, 2019.
Download the Registration Form and other information:
- All current Lay Servants should have submitted their annual report to their 2019 Charge Conference.
- Anyone seeking to become a Lay Servant must submit his/her application to his/her pastor to be approved by the Charge Conference or Church Council. All reports and applications must be signed by the pastor and by the District Superintendent. The Lay Servant annual report and application is available online on the Greenwood District web page (http://www.umcsc.net/greenwood/home/).
- If you have not taken a class in 3 years or more, you are no longer a certified Lay Servant.
- You must attend the entire Lay Servant School (October 20 and 27) to receive credit for the course you select to take.
- You must sign the attendance register at both sessions to receive credit for the course you select to take.