The Greenwood District 2019 Spring Lay Servant Ministry School is set for March 24 and 31 at St. Mark UMC, 550 Hwy. 72 Bypass NW, Greenwood, 29649. Sign-in will begin at 2:00 p.m., and the sessions will end at 7:30 p.m. A light meal will be served.
Courses to be offered include:
- Basic Course: This course is required of all those who wish to be certified as a Local Church Lay Servant. If this is your first application to become a Lay Servant, you should register for this course. The cost is $33 which includes the book. Rev. Mike Evans, instructor. (A Basic refresher course will be offered this summer.)
- From Your Heart to Theirs: Delivering an Effective Sermon: This is an advanced course and the Basic course is a pre-requisite. Registration fee is $23.00. Ms. Myra Taylor, instructor
- Polity: The Method of our Mission: For those seeking to be a certified Lay Servant, this is an advanced course and the Basic course is a pre-requisite for this course. However, anyone interested in knowing more about United Methodist Polity can register for this course. If the individual’s focus changes and a decision is made to become a certified Lay Servant, then the Basic Course must be taken. Registration fee is $23.00. Mr. Ray McCoy, instructor
Prior to Session 1 (March 24): Please read Chapters 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Prior to Session 2 (March 31): Please read chapter 3 and the conclusion on pages 169-174
- Lay Servant and Lay Leader: What Is My Role? This course is for all-laity and ministers-and does not require a pre-requisite. This course is designed to help laity know what their role is and how to work with the pastor as well as other laity in the church. Registration fee is $36 which covers all course-related materials. Mr. David Salter, instructor
Registration deadline is March 19, 2019. NO REGISTRATIONS WILL BE TAKEN AT THE DOOR. NO REGISTRATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER THE DEADLINE.
Download the Registration Form and other information:
- Letter to pastors and lay servants
- Book ordering information for advanced courses
- Registration Form
- Course Descriptions
New for the 2019 Spring School: Les Heaton Scholarship to honor the former Conference Director of Lay Servant Ministries. Click here to download a copy of the application. Return to the Greenwood District Office, PO Box 49968, Greenwood SC 29649, as soon as possible.
- All current Lay Servants should have submitted their annual report to their 2018 Charge Conference. If you did not submit your annual report to the Charge Conference and had it signed by the pastor and District Superintendent, you are no longer a certified Lay Servant.
- Anyone seeking to become a Lay Servant must submit his/her application to his/her pastor to be approved by the Charge Conference or Church Council. All reports and applications must be signed by the pastor and by the District Superintendent. The Lay Servant annual report and application is available online on the Greenwood District web page (http://www.umcsc.net/greenwood/home/).
- If you have not taken a class in 3 years or more, you are no longer a certified Lay Servant.
- You must attend the entire Lay Servant School (March 24 and 31) to receive credit for the course you select to take.
- You must sign the attendance register at both sessions to receive credit for the course you select to take.